Sometimes window salesmen write in all upset thinking I’m picking on them about something. Usually I’m not, but I suppose in this case I am. I’m not picking on the knowledgable and helpful person who may disagree with me on something. Rather, the uninformed rep who doesn’t know what he’s talking about but speaks with all the confidence he got it last week’s sales meeting.
Some of these guys just don’t let the truth get in their way. Some only know what they’ve been taught. They may really believe what they’re saying or they may know they’re full of it. Either way, it’s important that you know the truth.
Here are the common claims you’ll hear out there. Click on them to find information and explanations that may make the salesperson’s thoughts seem a little more questionable.
Top 11 Lies Told by Window Salesmen:
- These windows were made specifically for our company
- Fiberglass windows are far superior to all other types
- We use virgin vinyl while the other guys use regrind vinyl
- Our installers are employees not subcontractors
- We use foam in the window frames while nobody else does
- We have the more layers of low-e in our glass
- Our windows are fusion welded and others aren’t
- Vinyl windows will warp and crack in your climate
- Our lifetime warranty is great and others are “limited”
- Triple pane windows are the best option to reduce sound
- We have special spacers, glass, vinyl, parts, etc
If you’ve been shopping for windows you’ve probably heard some of these whoppers. We’ll be updating posts about each of these topics in the coming days. Check back here for updates and you can even bookmark this page to keep track.
If you have any suggestions for additional topics or examples of creative storytelling by window salespeople post a comment and let us know. We’re always looking for great material for future posts!
In the meantime you may want to check out our section on the most common replacement window sales tactics. Replacement window salespeople can be a never-ending source of amusement!
Other posts you might find helpful:
- Why you should NEVER buy Simonton windows
- Provia window complaints – What’s the problem here?
- Is triple pane glass worth the cost?
- How long does it take to get new windows
- How to get window prices by email
- How to find the best local window companies
And, if you want to skip the hassle of dealing with salespeople like this you can find our listing of the best window companies all over the country right here.